Effective Date: October 15, 2018
Legal BasesTo provide the Strava services
As described in the Terms of Service, the Strava Services cannot be provided, and the Terms of Service cannot be performed, without Strava processing data about you including your location data. Since we process data you provide to us which is necessary to perform our contract with you, you have the right to port or transfer that data if you are habitually resident in the EU.
We ask for your permission to process your information for certain purposes and you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. We ask for your consent to:
- Collect or infer health information which may include information inferred from sources such as heart rate or other indicators. We use your health information to provide helpful statistics and visualizations.
- Send you marketing communications.
- Collect and process information from third-party products and services, such as Facebook or Google, or devices and apps, such as your Garmin watch or Flywheel account, which you connect to Strava.
When we process data you provide to us based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time via your settings. You also have the right to port or transfer the data.
We process data where it is necessary to protect an interest which is essential to someone’s life or protect any person from serious bodily injury. This includes processing information to combat harmful conduct both on and off of our Services.
Where laid down by EU law or the law in an EU Member State, we may process members’ data to perform processing in the public interest. This may include protecting against harm and undertaking research for social good. You have the right to object to, and seek restriction of, our processing of your personal data when we process data using this legal basis.
We process your information for our legitimate interests, and those of third parties, while applying appropriate safeguards that protect your privacy, rights and interests. We do this to:
- Market the Services, activities on Strava and other commercial products or services. For example, our partners may pay us to promote their products, services, events, gear or devices on Strava. This is one of the ways we are able to provide the Services on a sustainable basis. We provide controls and safeguards for our members, including the ability to object.
- Maintain our business by conducting research and continuously improving the Services so as to offer innovative and customised offerings to our members and partners.
- Convert it into aggregated form (by removing certain information, such as your name, and combining the resulting information with similar information from other members) for use by us and our partners. Our partners may use this information to improve infrastructure, such as with Strava Metro, or for other commercial purposes including developing useful insights. We also aggregate information to generate our Global Heatmap.
- Keep the Services safe and secure by using information to prevent or detect violations of our Terms of Service, fraud or abuse, and other harmful or illegal conduct. We may also share information with third parties, including law enforcement agencies for this purpose.
- Promote the Services, including email and in-product marketing campaigns to inform members about our Services.
- Encourage users to find new ways to interact, including activities, followers, clubs or events. We rely on our legitimate interest in retaining members when ensuring that we offer new opportunities and show routes or segments of interest to our community.
You have the right to object to, and seek restriction of, our processing of your personal data based on legitimate interests. Please visit your privacy controls if you object to us using your information as part of Heatmap and Metro.
Changes to this information
This information may change from time to time, so it should be reviewed frequently for the most up to date information. We will notify you of any changes by updates to this page.
© 2019 Strava